Exotic fruit is wonderful for adding panache to both sweet and savoury dishes. The stunning bright pink skin of a dragon fruit can instantly transform even the most boring desserts when used as a garnish and physalis dipped in chocolate is delicious as well as visually impressive. Exotic fruit is ideal for creating healthy yet exciting desserts and breakfast options. A medley of juicy pineapple, fragrant papaya and sweet mango combined with the juice of passion fruit is hard to resist. Figs and pomegranate are gorgeous incorporated into savoury dishes adding gentle sweetness and a sublime depth of flavour.
Hints, tips & chef's suggestions
The fruit of a cactus plant; the bright pink skin and scales give Dragon fruit a stunning and unique appearance. The flesh is opaque white with edible small black seeds.
- Slice thinly (keeping the pink skin on) and decorate desserts to wow your customers.
- Dragon fruit flesh works well in sorbets.
These exotic fruits go with exotic flavours – spicy or salty.
- When perfectly ripe they are fantastic with big shards of Parmesan and Parma ham; try drizzling with a balsamic glaze and serving with a handful of rocket.
- Bake with honey, butter, cinnamon and a twist of black pepper to team up with a simple cheesecake
Try using kumquats in recipes in place of oranges. They can be used in both sweet and savoury dishes.
- Kumquats add a great tang to chutneys and marmalades.
Also known as cape gooseberry. The delicate lantern contains a delicious orange coloured fruit similar in size to a cherry tomato. The fruit is firm with a slightly citrus flavour.
- Physalis is a beautiful garnish for sweet and savoury dishes. Try dipping the fruit in chocolate and using to decorate your desserts.
Pomegranate is becoming increasingly popular due to the health benefits provided by these vibrant, sweet seeds. Used extensively in Middle Eastern cooking, they can be incorporated in both sweet and savoury dishes.
- Slice oranges and top with a generous sprinkle of pomegranate seeds for a fantastically simple fruit salad.