Leeks, onions, spring onions and shallots are all classed as alliums. Alliums are a fantastic and inexpensive way of adding flavour to dishes. During the British season, our onions, leeks and spring onions are Red Tractor accredited. Preparing onions can be an unpleasant task but before you reach for your onion goggles, look at our comprehensive range of prepared onions. Peeled, sliced or diced, our prepared onions save time and tears in the kitchen.
About our British leeks
Our delicious leeks are British and Red Tractor accredited from July to April. February sees the first of the seeds planted in the field, which are then covered in fleece to help them grow in time for harvesting in September. In March, young leek seedlings are planted in the soil, these become ready to harvest from July until September. Seeds are also drilled in to the soil from March until May to produce a steady supply of leeks from September through to April.
The main varieties grown for Pauleys are Belton, Volta, Striker, Lexton and Triton. During the harvesting period, the leeks are hand-picked daily and placed on to rigs. Harvesting rigs are usually used to enable the selecting, grading, washing and packing to take place in the field whilst shortening the time from field to fork.
Hints, tips & chef's suggestions
Tip: Garlic burns easily, add it only at the end of cooking and watch it closely.
Tip: Wash before and after slicing to remove any dirt that may be trapped in the layers
- Young, early season leeks are tender enough to chargrill lightly.
- Slice leeks and wrap with ham, cover with cheese and bake.
- Leek and potato soup is simply sensational when made fresh.
Tip: To remove onion odours rub a stainless steel spoon over your hands or rub your hands on a stainless steel sink.
- Caramelised onions have a divine sweetness and pair wonderfully with goats cheese in a tart.
- Red onions work particularly well with red wine to create a superior gravy that is great with beef or sausages
- Create champ by chopping spring onions and mixing with smooth, creamy mashed potatoes.
- Combine with ginger and add to stir fries